Thursday, September 20, 2012
Digital David Hockney Photo-montages
My 8th graders learned all about David Hockney and photo-montages this week. These are the first few to finish. Students could either select their own theme or could use the annual PTA Reflections theme which (this year) is "the magic of a moment."
Here is our process (5 class days total):
1. students identified a theme and subject
2. students spent 1 class period taking digital photos -each student needed at least 30 images (you always have a few "throw away" ones!)
3. We had a small lesson about transferring photos and assembling photos into a montage in MS Publisher (a program already installed on computers). Students spent 2 class periods assembling 3 different montages. They used the same theme, subject, and photos, but assembled in different manners.
4. We had a small lesson about saving Publisher files as JPEGs, manipulating montages in MS Photo Editor (contrast, hue saturation, cropping), and manipulating montages with filters in such free online programs as Pixlr, Pixlr-o-Matic, and BeFunky. Students spent 2 class periods on montage manipulation.
5. Students titled and uploaded completed montages to Edmodo group, and had to make at least 5 positive comments on others' work. Each comment had to be in a complete sentence that was specific about the artwork observed. This only took part of one period.
Here are the results (about 1/2 of the kids aren't quite finished as we still have 1 more day to go):