Basically, what I've learned is that anything Eric Carle themed looks awesome when finished. Here is what we did.
1. I precut black butterfly outlines, black heads, green bodies, and made eyes
2. students worked on drawing straight lines on yellow paper
3. students discovered orange by fingerpainting with yellow and red paint
4. students glued on outlines, bodies, heads, and eyes
5. students made stripes on the bodies
6. students worked on scissor skills by cutting pieces of the dried orange paper for the colorful parts of the butterfly. . . some tore (if they got too frustrated).
7. I gave them white oil pastel to make a mouth (some made noses)